CHALLENGE ALASKA IS SEEKING SKI & SNOWBOARD INSTRUCTORS
SCROLL DOWN FOR ONLINE CALENDAR
Volunteer Meet N Greets (all 6pm-7:30pm)- meet staff, ask questions, fill out paperwork, learn about our program
-Anchorage: November 9th @ REI / November 15th @ Anc Challenge Office (3350 commercial drive. Suite 208)
-Girdwood: November 12th & 18th @ Challenge Building (426 Crystal Mountain Road)
“The years I’ve had with Challenge Alaska have been some of the most enriching experiences of my life. To help people face their fears, and overcome them is the closest thing to magic I’ve seen. We can get nearly anyone on the mountain and put wind in their face. I’ve seen this change lives.”
Quote from longtime instructor Tracy Golly; Feb. 08’
Volunteer Instructor Qualifications & Training
- Potential volunteer instructors should be comfortable skiing or riding on beginning (green) and easy intermediate (blue) terrain, and should have their own equipment.
- You do not have to be an expert to learn to teach basic ski and snowboarding skills.
- Have time available midweek and / or weekends
Challenge Alaska offers many training clinics to help develop your teaching skills for both snowboarding and skiing. We use the Professional Ski and Snowboard Instructors of America (PSIA) teaching model, and training is provided by PSIA certified clinicians. We are a PSIA and DS/USA member school. Give us a call or stop by the Girdwood building to get started.
Season: November 20th - April 30th Annually
Through a combination of clinics and shadowing (assisting an experienced instructor during a lesson), volunteers develop teaching skills that allow them to move from a shadow position to teaching lessons on their own. The time it takes to move from a shadow to an instructor depends on the person. The great thing about your training at Challenge Alaska Ski and Snowboard School is that you can progress at a pace that you are comfortable with, and that is compatible with your schedule. The more you are here the quicker you will gain skills and feel comfortable teaching.
- The time you commit to Challenge Alaska is open and flexible based on your schedule.
- For every clinic or lesson that you are part of you will receive 4 hours of service credit.
- Earn 1 voucher, good for a $10 lift ticket at Alyeska resort for every 8 hours of service (after 32 hours of service).
- Earn a season pass at Alyeska Resort by committing to 160 hours of volunteer instruction throughout the season (after 32 hours of service).
- PSIA certification costs covered by Challenge AK.
- Access to pro-forms as a returning qualified volunteers.
- Trainings provided for ski instruction, disability awareness, equipment use, and personal skiing skills.
- Slope side access to Alyeska Resort and use our volunteer rooms to store your mountain gear.
- Meet a terrific group of individuals to learn from and ski with.
- Opportunities to become a Professional Ski Instructor of America in Alpine and/or Adaptive.
Visiting Instructor Program
Challenge Alaska Adaptive Ski and Snowboard School, Mt. Alyeska is continuing our successful Instructor Exchange Program. It is our goal to provide the opportunity for adaptive ski instructors across the country to experience teaching in Alaska. Here at Challenge Alaska we hope to enhance our adaptive program by sharing knowledge from other programs involved in this exchange. This is a great opportunity to experience Alaska skiing and learn from a program other than your own. Challenge Alaska will also benefit from the knowledge and experience you can bring to us. Your only cost will be airfare and food.
Here is what we will provide:
- Housing in our 4,500 sq. ft. slope side building.
- Full kitchen/shower facilities at your disposal.
- Lift tickets for the duration of your stay.
- Free skiing opportunities that are equal to the amount of time you teach lessons.
- Clinics that are scheduled during your time here.
- Friendly and colorful locals to show you around the mountain and town.
What we require for the Exchange Program:
- PSIA Adaptive certified Level 1 minimum
- Recommendation by your Ski School Director
- Teach lessons / help with program delivery (half of your time here)
If this program interests you we recommend that you call or e-mail us to discuss the details. We look forward to talking with you and answering any questions you may have. Feel free to check out our ski area website: Alyeska Resort: http://www.alyeskaresort.com